My family of five has a propensity towards pizza. It seems each and every Friday night I am met with the same request. We want pizza! I am always torn between saying yes and ordering pizza because I want to make the weekend enjoyable for everyone or saying no because it costs more than what we already have in the fridge and is not all that healthy. So I have tried to come to a middle ground with my family. One that meets all of our needs, if that’s even possible. I decided to make a homemade pizza family night!
This way we are not spending as much ordering out and with the ingredients we use from scratch or from the store we can ensure the quality and nutrients of each food item we use.
I had to invest a little bit of money at first, but figured this was worth it because this family craving for pizza was not going away anytime soon.
I also had to spend some time researching for the best homemade pizza recipes I could find. Then a little more time tweaking these recipes to fit the taste buds of my family.
What I was left with was a great alternative to my weekend pizza conundrum.
Here I will share a few tips with you how I made my very own homemade pizza family night a hit!
Plus, I will share ways I was able to get my whole family involved and how I made the atmosphere engaging and memorable for everyone.
Homemade pizza night
The main difference between homemade pizza and delivery pizza is the quality of the ingredients. With delivery pizza, you are not sure of the quality of the ingredients that are being used and most likely they are not fresh. With homemade pizza, you can use high-quality ingredients and customize the toppings to your liking.
Another difference is the price. Of course, delivery pizza is going to be more expensive because you are paying for the service and the company’s overhead costs. Homemade pizza will cost you less, especially if you already have some of the ingredients on hand.
What You’ll Need:
Pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
Toppings of your choice
Olive oil (optional)
Pizza stone or baking sheet
Pizza peel or large spatula
Rolling pin (if using homemade dough)
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F . If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven while it’s preheating. Let it sit in the oven for 30 minutes after the beep goes off that tells you it has reached temperature. You want to do this with your pizza stone because it will ensure the best quality in the crust. Crispy edges with the soft inside that everyone loves.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface or lightly oiled surface. Depending on your preference you will want to go with either flour or oil. Use oil for a soft and more chewy crust or flour for a tough more dense crust.
3. Spread sauce over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border. If you want a lot of sauce on your pizza go ahead and add more, but if you are like me and prefer a light layer then stick to the ½-inch border.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and then your favorite toppings.
5. Carefully transfer pizza to preheated stone or baking sheet using a pizza peel or large spatula.
6. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Slice and serve!
Now that you have the basics of how to make a family style pizza night I will share with you some tips on how to make it even more fun and memorable.
How to make perfect family pizza night fun?
1. Make it a competition! This is a great way to get the family involved and excited about making their own pizzas. See who can make the best-looking pizza or who can come up with the most creative topping combination.
2. Set up a toppings bar so everyone can customize their own individual pizzas. This is a great way to please every family member and also allows for some creativity.
3. Make your own pizza dough! This is a fun activity that the whole family can do together. Plus, it’s a great way to get everyone involved in the cooking process.
4. Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes with the dough or toppings. This is a great way to get the kids involved and excited about pizza night.
5. Have a movie night! After everyone has enjoyed their pizzas, settle in for a family-favorite movie. Maybe the winner of the pizza making competition gets to pick! This is a great way to make pizza night even more special and memorable.
Pizza night is a fun and easy way to get the whole family together and bond over a delicious meal. By following these tips, you can make pizza night even more enjoyable for everyone.
Do you really need a Pizza Stone?
Pizza stones are great if you want to get that crispy and bubbly crust, but it’s not necessary. You can also use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Do I need a Pizza Peel?
A pizza peel is helpful but not necessary. If you don’t have one, you can use a large spatula to transfer the pizza to the oven.
Can I use store-bought dough?
Yes, you can! If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought dough. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the package.
Can I make ahead of time?
Pizza dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before using it.
Is homemade pizza sauce better?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It is simply a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer to make their own pizza sauce tailored to their taste, while others prefer to use store-bought sauce. Either way will result in a delicious pizza!
What is the best cheese to use on pizza?
Some people prefer to use mozzarella pre shredded low moisture cheese, while others prefer to use cheddar cheese or another type of cheese. Grated parmesan cheese is a great option to add on top of the shredded cheese as well.
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make the perfect DIY family pizza night. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. And if you want more tips on how to make your next family pizza night
And there you have it! A delicious, homemade pizza that the whole family will love. By making your own pizza night, you’ll be able to control the quality of ingredients, toppings and price. Not to mention, it’s a fun activity the whole family can enjoy together! So go ahead and give it a try!